Monday, March 1, 2010

Very touching story...................

I stumbled upon this story........

Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play
my bagpipes at a graveside service for a homeless man.

He had no family or friends so the service was to be at a

pauper's cemetery in rural Oregon.

I wasn't familiar with the mountain roads so I ended up

getting lost and, being a typical man, didn't stop to ask

for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw that

the funeral guy had already gone and the hearse was

nowhere in sight. The only ones left were the diggers

and crew and they were on their lunch break.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went

to the side of the grave, looked down, and saw that the vault

lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do so I

started to play. The workers put down their lunches and began

to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man

with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before.

And as I played
'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept,

we all wept together.

When I finished, I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car.

Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I was opening the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say,

"Sweet Mother of Jesus, I never seen nothin' like that before and I've

been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

No comments: